RESUME OF ANDREW TRUITT
- NABCEP Certified PV Installer (ID# 032407-66) and member of the NABCEP Board of Directors.
- Colorado Licensed Journeyman Electrician (License # 600132)
- Responsible for training 40+ installers, engineers, permitting specialists and project managers over a six year career.
- Practical experience installing or managing over 800 commercial and residential photovoltaic (PV) systems (over ten megawatts in total) in California, the District of Columbia, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
- My PV installation mission is to perform 40-year no-leak installs that blend aesthetically with the system environment with an emphasis on safety, power production and customer service.
- Experienced with single- and dual-axis tracking systems, commercial-scale ballasted roof mounts, battery back-up systems, and all manner of racking structures, PV modules and inverters.
- Dedicated to the belief that the energy policy of this country and the world must change in the near future and convinced that renewables will be a key component of that change.
Master of Science in Renewable Energy Systems Technology, Loughborough University, United Kingdom. 2003 – 2004
- Studied all major forms of renewable energy including solar PV and thermal, wind, geothermal and micro-hydro as well as their integration to the electrical grid and global political implications.
- Dissertation: A Comparison of U.S. and U.K Standards for Energy Efficiency in Buildings.
- Summary of Findings: Though the UK has more stringent and standardized requirements for building efficiency, US buildings achieve similar performance due largely
Bachelor of Science in Physics, Anthropology minor, University of California Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA. 1999-2002
- Senior Thesis: b (quark) → u vs. b → c transitions at the Z boson resonance energy.
- Summary of Findings: Measuring the relative frequencies of the two most likely b quark decays does not appear to be a viable way to find a more precise value for
the weak nuclear force.
Principal, Truitt Renewable Energy Consulting (TREC), Denver, CO. October 2010 - Present
- Overall PV industry trend and product analysis – Unique insight and practical advice based on six years in the industry working in East and West coast markets and fulfilling numerous job functions.
- PV system design review – Review plans for code compliance and recommend efficient and practical system design according to industry best practices.
- PV system commissioning – Safety/workmanship inspection and performance testing for small- and large-scale systems.
- PV installation and design training – On-site workshops on all aspects of PV system development from site analysis to system commissioning.
- Permitting assistance – Collaboration with permitting agents and/or officials to help work through RE permitting issues within the framework of existing laws and covenants.
- Educational seminars – Presentations to groups large and small on how RE works.
- Firefighter safety – Workshops and/or design review regarding fire safety from the installer perspective (safe system design) and the firefighter perspective (explaining the unique risks of PV to emergency personnel).
- Procedural documentation – Develop a range of documents from installation manuals to engineering design guidelines to safety procedures.
- Off-Grid PV / remote cathodic protection systems – Design, procurement and installation services for battery-based and hybrid RE systems
Senior Energy Analyst, SRA International, Denver, CO. October 2010 - Present (part-time)
- Responsible for reviewing design documents and on-site commissioning (Cx) of commercial / governmental PV systems from 100 kW to 4 MW.
- Developed Cx documentation including checklists and reporting templates.
- PV Technical Expert for bid projects and existing contracts.
- Support the US Department of Energy's Solar 3.0 Initiative (a SunShot program).
ISPQ Assessor, Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC), Denver, CO. January 2011 - Present (part-time)
- Responsible for reviewing and assessing candidate applications for IREC's Institute for Sustainable Power Quality (ISPQ) credentialing programs.
- All credentialing is in accordance with ISPQ International Standard 010022:2011 - General Requirements for Trainers and Training Programs Offering Renewable Energy, Energy Efficiency, or Distributed Generation Training.
- Responsible for all phases of installation, construction, procurement, engineering, permitting and service. Established each as its own department and trained/hired department managers as the company grew.
- Former titles within company: Foreman, Operations Manager, Director of Construction.
- Responsibilities included meeting monthly design targets exceeding $1M, creating systems to track installations, designs, resources, and overall departmental productivity, and achieving response times of less than 24 hours for service calls.
- Designed and delivered educational training programs for permitting and inspection officials in the Metro DC area, focusing on how PV works, how PV systems are installed and industry best practices.
- Led an effort with the Maryland Clean Energy Center and the Maryland Energy Administration to develop recommended PV permitting guidelines for the state of MD.
- Instrumental in growing company from six employees in August, 2006 to 70+ and growing as of October, 2010.
- Installations of note:
- Catholic University, Washington DC (294 kW), 2009 – Oversaw engineering of system design.
- Rockville Blades Ice Rink, Rockville, MD (700 kW), 2010 – Oversaw engineering of system design.
Foreman, Owens Electric and Solar, San Mateo, CA. October 2005 – July 2006
- · Planned and installed residential and commercial PV systems while training new employees.
- · Oversaw all aspects of the installation process including racking, modules, conduit, inverter, wiring, and grid interconnection.
- · Troubleshot and performed maintenance on existing systems.
- · Installation of note:
Installer, Sun, Light and Power Inc., Berkeley, CA. October 2004 – April 2005
- Started my solar career and was trained by industry leaders Blake Gleason (PV), Tommy Jacoby (PV) and Justin Weil (Solar Thermal).
- Learned to apply my theoretical knowledge of electricity and solar system design to PV and Solar Thermal installations.
- Installation of note:
Additional Awards, Qualifications & Affiliations
- Recipient: Bright Light Award, Maryland Clean Energy Center (MCEC), Gaithersburg, MD. October 2010 ·
- Given annually to a group or individual who shines for their contribution to MCEC efforts to remove barriers to success, promote the MCEC mission and bridge the
gaps between industry and policy.
- North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP), Clifton Park, NY. 2006 - Present ·
- Elected to the NABCEP Board of Directors as an alternate member in August of 2010.
- Featured Certificant in February 2009 newsletter (http://www.nabcep.org/news/a-conversation-with-andrew-truitt-standard-solar)
- US DOE Consultant, Washington, DC. 2009
- GRID Alternatives, San Francisco, CA. 2005 – 2006
- Berkeley Adult School, Berkeley, CA. 2005 – 2006
- Loughborough University Men’s Basketball team, Loughborough, United Kingdom. 2003 – 2004
- Made the playoffs but lost in the second round.